Saturday, January 7, 2012

Howdy!

Hey there! I'm Amanda Rhodes, and I'm starting this blog for several reasons. Number 1 is to share some of my experiences, past and present. Number 2 is to share some fun memories of growing up on my parents farm in Southern Augusta County, VA, and number 3 is to keep my customers up to date on my small business, Country Rhodes Produce and Baked Goods. I'm looking forward to another successful season at the Staunton/Augusta Farmer's Market in 2012!



So I guess I will introduce myself a little. My Husband Tyler and I live out here in Augusta County, on top of a hill surrounded by mountains, mountains and more mountains. For the time being we only have a small plot of land, but it's enough to raise chickens, a few sheep, a calf, and lots of vegetables! Growing up on a market garden operation instilled in me a deep love of growing things. Even as a whiny 9 year old who despised picking green beans, a feeling of satisfaction and self-worth was forming inside. I thank my parents for the life they provided me growing up, as it made me who I am today.







I recently married a farm boy, Tyler, who is also a mechanic and trucker by trade. He works for a local tractor dealership, while I work for a local cannery. I also stay busy here at the house, growing a variety of vegetables and baking homemade granola bars (AKA: "Amanda's Famous Granola Bars") and cereal for the Farmer's Market.












When we're not at our jobs working, or preparing for the farmer's market, we have a great crew of country people we hang out with. One of Tyler's favorite pass-times is lawnmowers. Not just using them for the conventional purpose, but rebuilding them, "soupin' 'em up", off-roading with them, and yes, racing them. When I first met Tyler he denied being a "redneck" but according to his city cousins he's probably the biggest redneck they ever met.

.









Well, I guess that's about it for now. I will try to keep posting whenever I have the time. I'll be seein' ya! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment